Site news

A Tribute To Dr. Joseph Aaron Kelley Sr.

Picture of Admin User
A Tribute To Dr. Joseph Aaron Kelley Sr.
by Admin User - Tuesday, 10 February 2015, 3:23 PM

Black and White photo of man about 30 years old in dark suit and tieBlack and White photo of man about 30 years old in dark suit and tieJoseph Aaron Kelley (1934 - 2015)

Wynfield Christian Academy  for Independent Study, may be the first institution that you have known that is accredited, thanks to Dr. Joseph Aaron Kelley,  known as "The Joseph Aaron Evangelistic Association” which was formed in 1972.   It originally started from a school that was started in 1937 in a woman's kitchen for homeschooling  and grew as her neighbors began sending her their children to teach each day. Original name was Hallie Turner Private School, then Briarwood Academy, then WCA.

This family-based ministry is in memorial to his son,  Joseph Aaron Kelley, Jr. who died at the age of six wishing to be a missionary teacher.  

Wynfield Christian Academy, exists to provide a quality and biblically based education to their children in sole purpose of raising up godly men and women with a heart and soul for Jesus Christ and Saviour.  

Obituary for Dr. Joseph Aaron Kelley his Legacy:

Macon, GA- Joseph Aaron Kelley, 80, went home to be with Jesus on February 3, 2015.

He is survived by his wife, Joyce Grace Kelley of 54 plus years; three children, Kathi Renee Walker (Scott) of Bolingbroke, Traci Dawn Gonzales (Larry) of San Antonio, and Bethani Grace Berlanga (David) of San Antonio; five grandchildren, Brian Walker, Brendan Walker (Rachel), Kyle Gonzales (Alisha), Joey Gonzales (Kisa), and Skylar Gonzales, and two great-grandchildren, Sofia Gonzales and Jase Gonzales; and several nieces and nephews. He is also

survived by his brother, James Kelley, Jones County. His caregiver, Jamie Robillard, was also very valuable with his assistance and care for Joe for the past year and a half, and we do appreciate him very much.

Joe's parents, William Lazarus Kelley and Sara Boone Kelley; three brothers, Paul, Henry, John, and son, Joseph Aaron Kelley, Jr., preceded him in death.

Joe was a United Methodist minister and served churches in the Macon, Americus, Statesboro, Thomasville, and Valdosta districts of the South Georgia Conference, and participated in a ministerial exchange with a minister in Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain. He also served for a time as a Chaplain for Reidsville prison. The South Georgia Conference honored Joe and churches at three different times with the Church of the Year Award. He was a veteran with the Army National Guard, and was the host for a public television station called "Macon Now" for a few years. Joe received degrees from colleges at Andrew, Ga. Southern, Ga. Southwestern, Ga. Tech, and Emory Divinty School in Atlanta.

Joe's body was dedicated to Med Cure for medical research. He had been an invalid for a number of years without a definitive diagnosis and the family hopes research might help others with similar symptoms.

A service honoring his life will be held at Liberty United Methodist Church at 6511 Houston Road, Saturday February 7, at 2:00 PM.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a rescue group for animals of your choice or the Building Fund of Liberty United Methodist Church , 6511 Houston Rd 31216, or Wynfield Christian Academy and DeafBlind Hope, 143 Williamson Dr. Macon, GA 31210 (or use the PayPal donation buttons).

Family can be contacted at the home or by e-mail: apr30196068@yahoo.com

Words from Renee'

"It is with sadness that we announce the passing into glory of my father, Dr. Joseph Aaron Kelley, Sr. who was the founder and the CEO of Wynfield Christian Academy. Without his dedication to education and the love of memoriam to my brother, Joseph Aaron Kelley, Jr., Wynfield Christian Academy would not exist; nor, be what it is today. For his service and dedication, I am truly grateful and will continue to follow his lessons and in his footsteps. I pray for strength and peace to my mother, Grace Kelley, who also has given much of herself for the beginnings of the ministry that Wynfield Christian Academy is.

Celebrating a life well-lived by a servant who surely heard those cherished words at the end of his race, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Though not perfect, you overcame because you were willing to see who you were- a sinner needing the cleansing blood of Jesus, and you found Amazing Grace! You were my example of faith by how you relied on your Savior to make you a new creature and use you for the glory of God. I will always love you and will miss you until we see each other again in the presence of Christ, my Savior."

As we continue in his footsteps, may we remember the roots this dedicated man, Joseph Aaron Kelley, gave to our school and to our children.  Giving them this opportunity to receive an accredited diploma and furthering their education in the comfort of our homes.  

In closing, I want to thank Renee' K. Walker for excepting the baton, keeping the dreams alive that her father started many years ago.  Our children and others before us would not have been where they are today without this dedicated commitment.  Often, spending countless hours of work, her and her husband, working behind the scenes for our school to continue to function at its best.  She has never complained for doing this because she loves our children and upmost loves her Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!  

Sincerely,

Sharon Stacey

Sr. Administrative Assistant/WCA Online/TeacherEase Admin